Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Tale of the bird in the backyard

So I have family staying with me to celebrate Asher's birthday today and last night around 11pm some members of said family were outside smoking their cancer sticks when they noticed something perched on the play equipment. My father, came in very excited that we had an "Owl" perched on the swing set. I went out to investigate only to discover that it wasn't an Owl, but definitely some sort of hawk. He acted as if he may have had a problem with his wing. My plan was to make some phone calls in the morning if he was still there, thinking that he would eventually fly off, but was a bit worried since all the flash of the camera didn't send him off. Back in side I heard a scratching sound so I looked and the poor bird must have slid down the slide. Seriously right? So I go back in and make several phone calls at 11pm at night to find someone to help with the situation. I got a hold of an older gentleman who responded, "At 11 o'clock at night?".. Well I have dogs that go in the backyard so I needed to know what to do. So we threw a towel over him and then put him in a box for the night, with lots of holes so he could breathe. Long story short, this morning I was excited to show Eli and then take him over to this man, so we all went out and I opened the box and... he had died during the night. Seriously, I lost it and really started crying.. Could we have done something else?? Major guilt today and I am having Asher's birthday party at the beach in a few hours.. I called the guy this morning and he assessed that he must have gotten into some poison or something and that we should bury him.. Which is going to have to wait til later today, more guilt.. It was a Cooper Hawk.. I am going to go cry myself to sleep on my big pilla..

The End.. Based on True events.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

oh, how sad! I would have lost it too and cried. You DID try last night to have him taken care of, so don't blame yourself. I hope the birthday part goes well!!

Todd said...

Chas, I love birds of prey and that is a horrible sad story. But you did try!