I was at the hospital for about an hour so far.. I had been having contractions all night and finally realized that we should go into have it checked out. With Eli my water broke first so I never had contractions at home so this was new to me. Thankfully I had the for-sight to invite my amazing sister-in-law Melanie to come to Minnesota about a week early. She drove from Michigan with my then 2 year old nephew so that she could be home with Eli. I think people were skeptical that I was about 3 weeks from my due date, but I just had a feeling. She arrived on Wed. and I delivered on Sat. But I digress.
We go to the hospital and I was a little worried they would send me home if I wasn't measuring a 3, fortunately I was a 3! They sent us up to a room and assigned us a wonderful nurse. I had written a birth plan that requested that we have a nurse experienced with natural birth. I didn't want anyone pressuring me about drugs, which happened a bit with Eli. Also that there would be no extra people in the room, just the 3 of us. It was actually very nice and quiet, until my screaming anyway.
This time I had brought gatorade and snacks.. I was ready for the long haul, with Eli it was 22 hours and no food or drink, other than water. Tell me how is anyone supposed to have any energy to deliver a baby without any food?
By the time we got to the room I requested the labor tub, so the nurse filled it and I got in.. Can I just say..Heaven! When you are having contractions almost back to back it is the lovliest feeling to sink down into a big tub of warm water.. Cuz I'll be honest, I hadn't fit in the tub for quite some time..
I would say within 20 minutes my water broke and that is when the fun really started. I had to get out of the tub for the nurse to check me, and I was progressing very fast... I wanted back in the tub, got in and it was to hot, although it was exactly the same temp as earlier, probably cooler by now. So got back out.. bounced, rocked, paced, groaned and leaned on my very calm, patient, supportive husband.
I guess around 11ish is when I was able to start pushing.. Let's just say I used my playground voice, you all know what I am talking about. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had seen a midwife throughout this pregnancy, for every visit.. She was confident that she would be at my delivery, and she would have if I weren't 3 weeks early. So although disappointed that she wouldn't be there, I had other things to deal with such as birthing a baby au natural.
One of the Docs from her office arrived barely in time to catch, although she did have time to tell me that if I didn't stop screaming that I wouldn't have a voice the next day. Thanks Mom! Within in 30 minutes of pushing, I had a slimy, crying, beautiful baby boy.. What a rush! I was convinced that he was going to be a girl, the entire pregnancy. I was a hormonal mess, morning sickeness and and all around blubbering fool. I was resigned to dresses, makeup and periods! They put Asher up so I could see him and he peed on me! That is what he thought about being a girl! He has been a pistol ever since.
So today I am a little sad that My "Baby" is 2.. My last baby is not a a baby anymore.. He is a terrible two.. But so cute and funny, which is what makes the whining and the tantrums a bit more bearable. For now anyway.
Happy Birthday Asher Finley Edlefson.. You Complete Us!
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Asher! Sorry I haven't checked in with you guys in a while, I guess we were wrapped up with summer things. Liam stopped going to day care in June and is in summer camp until kindergarten starts. Aidan is almost 17 months and into everything! Time really does fly. I was just pregnant with Aidan 2 yrs ago. Liam has become a boy and is growing his hair long - no more buzz cuts! Aidan has long curly hair - I just don't know what to do with it. I will have to email you more! Congrats, other family of 2 crazy boys~
Happy Belated Birthday to your 'baby'! Isn't it crazy how fast 2 years fly? I hope I can have a birth story like yours!
Happy belated b-day lil guy. Chas you have a beautiful family, please tell everybody we said hello!
Post a Comment